"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method". Herman Melville

"I know nothing but miracles." Walt Whitman







terça-feira, 19 de julho de 2011

The Master and Margarita


Last June I started reading this wonderful book by Mikhail Bulgakov. I was half way through it when, in a friends house there was this documentary, on ARTE TV, showing the young Roling Stones in studio recording the song "Sympathy for the Devil". I didn´t pay much attention to the documentary, as there was a conversation going on about something else. As the band rehearsed time and time again, I kept hearing the famous lyrics:
"Please allow me to introduce myself
Im a man of wealth and taste
Ive been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man´s soul and faith
And I was round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
I stuck aroundS St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain ...etc"

The references to Pilate, the cruxifiction of Jesus, ST. Petersburg and the soviet revolution, made me realize there was some relation between that song and Bulgákov´s book.
A search in Wikipedia showed I was right. Mick Jagger said in an interview that he was partialy inspired by this novel to write the song.
It was one of those funny coincidences...

Sem comentários: