"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method". Herman Melville

"I know nothing but miracles." Walt Whitman







quarta-feira, 6 de outubro de 2010

Old POP ART chairs

A clear memory from childhood, I must have been five or six, was visiting the house of an uncle and aunt of mine (my grandfather´s brother) and seeing these chairs, which were unlike any chairs I had ever seen. Forty something years later, the owners long death, the house belongs to another old aunt of mine and she decided put it up for sale. Closed for four decades, the house has holes in the roof that let the rain in some rooms, and it was dangerous to walk over some floors. I entered it to check its condition, and was very glad to see again those chairs I that caused such a vivid impression in my childhood. There were only three left intact. I asked my aunt permission to keep them and she agreed.
I wonder who made them (I shall contact the Design museum in Lisbon), and how they ended up in a very small village in Portugal, in the 1940s or 50s... I painted one the obvious way:



Sem comentários: